Home / Blog



Person thinking sketch

The Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) is expanding, and you now have more options for your final school years.

VCE Vocational Major (VCE VM): Knowledge, confidence, and skills you need for work and life. A great new option if you don’t need an ATAR.

  • Learn in real-world environments
  • Finish school with an employability edge.

Victorian Pathways Certificate (VPC): A new flexible year 11 and 12 option for students who need it.

  • Flexible start date
  • Study at your own pace
  • Your teachers and school will recommend this option if you cannot undertake the VCE or VCE VM.

Vocational education and training (VET): Practical industry-specific learning in real-world settings.

  • Available in the VCE, VCE Vocational Major and Victorian Pathways Certificate
  • Try out careers and work towards certificates
  • Many schools are adding to the VET options they offer.

How to choose

It depends on what you enjoy, and what you want to do when you leave school.

VCE VCE Vocational Major Victorian Pathways Certificate
You want to do several of the many available VCE studies, or you want to go to university and need an ATAR. You want to learn practical skills in real-life settings. You want to start TAFE, an apprenticeship or traineeship, or employment straight from school. You want a course in year 11 and 12 that’s focused on your future and can adapt to your needs.
Add VET to your VCE, VCE VM or VPC if you want to explore or develop skills in a specific industry.


Talk to your school career counsellor about the best option for you.

Why it’s changing

The VCE VM and VPC replace VCAL (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning) with a better curriculum.

The changes bring an option into the VCE that focuses on vocational and applied learning.

You now get more choices for your education and better access to industry learning.